The Family

The Family

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Way Out of My Comfort Zone!

On Thursday morning the secretary from Brcyen's school called and asked if I would be able to come in and teach the 5Th graders for the day, because their teacher was feeling sick. I was grateful that I was watching little Alex that day and therefore was unable to sub. See I am not a teacher! I love kids, but teaching other peoples children is just not my thing. My degree is in business I have never taken any type of education class or child development class. I purposely avoided the education building at BYU. However, when I explained that I couldn't come in that day I made the mistake of sounding as if I would have loved to help out. Thursday evening the secretary called to see if I would sub for Friday. I have never acquired the skill to just say no, so off I went Friday morning to face 14 private school 5Th graders. As Brycen and I drove to school I told him I was very nervous because I had never been a teacher. Brycen thoughtfully and honestly replied, "but Mommy you've been teaching me for a long time. You taught me to talk and to walk." His sweet words comforted me slightly although I really doubted that any of these kids would need help walking or talking.
The day went okay. I don't think that I will be getting the teacher of the year award, but at the end of the day everyone was present and accounted for, I wasn't tied to a chair, and we accomplished everything on the teacher's lesson plan. I think the kids even did like me. The hardest thing was that the owner/director of the school came by twice to observe me. I really wasn't nervous once the day got started, except of course when Ms Merrill was standing in the doorway. I feel proud of myself for making it through the day and; I hope they don't ever ask me to sub again!

Yesterday I attended an enrichment class on pruning roses. Along with not being a teacher; I am not a gardener. I love flowers and admire other peoples yards and gardens, but I am clueless when it comes to tilling the earth! Still I came home and got straight to work. I think my roses bushes look like I pruned them right, now I will just have to see how they do this Spring.


I think the kids may have more of a green thumb than I do. I took this picture of Zac, Brycen, and Alex playing in the garden dirt the other day. They had a great time and came out very dirty.

Today Brycen taught me a valuable lesson. As we were driving home from church I said that when we got home I was going to make some yummy snacks for us to eat while watching the Superbowl. To which Brycen replied, but Mommy I thought that on Sundays we were supose to do things that make us think about God, not watch football. Oh no, I thought as I tried to think of a reasonable justification that what appease him. Before I could speak he said "It's okay Mommy, you can watch the game I will just go in another room and think about God." Needless to say, the game is not on at our house! Thank you Brycen for setting the example for all of us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brycen's comment is so sweet and pure. I am proud of your taking on teaching for the day. Knowing you, you probably stayed up all night doing special things for the kids. It looks so nice and warm in California. I guess you saw Lindsy's photo of our winter wonderland. Give everyone a love!

Larsen's said...

Wow, you are so brave! That was awesome of you to teach those fifth graders. Very impressive!

Lindsay said...

Wow, I would be scared to death! I'm impressed you did it. I used to think I wanted to be a teacher until they put me in Primary. Scary. I love the Brycen was going to go in the other room and "think of God." You missed a good game. :)

Bridget said...

Wow. That does sound scary. Teaching.....no thank you. You were nice to say yes!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had the courage to take on both teaching 5th graders, and pruning your roses. So now I can be the one to come by and admire what's growing your YOUR yard!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I haven't read your blog forever and there are so many fun posts to catch up on! I am so proud of you and your new found teaching skills! You are a great teacher and probably did better than you gave yourself credit for. What a sweet little boy that Brycen is. Let's set he and Katrina up as betrothed, OK? oxoxo