


Lance and I bought Sebastain just weeks after our honeymoon. He and I have both changed over the last 11 years. He was the first major purchase of our married life. He joined our family a year and a half before Zac did. And while he spent several years in Utah making the other Jones fall in love with him, he has always been our dog. Today we had to put our sweet, fat, stinky Sebastain to sleep. I have been crying for days. He had really been having a hard time getting up and down due to a large tumor near his hind leg. This weekend he pretty much stopped eating.
We tried to explain things to the boys last night. Brycen said he wanted to go to Heaven with Sebastian and this morning Zac tried to block Sebastian from his food so he could go to Heaven right away, Perhaps we made Heaven sound a bit too appealling.
So far, I miss him getting excited the minute he sees the boys in their swimsuits, because he knew it would mean someone would be outside to throw his ball for him. His tennis ball seemed so lonely in the pool today. I also miss having him around to eat up all the crumbs that fall on our kitchen floor. I know I will really miss having him here the next time Lance goes on a business trip, not that he would have ever even woken up if someone broke in, but he still made me feel safer.
Before Lance took Sebastian away we took the two pictures above, feed him a hamburger and a brownie, and Zac and Brycen each walked him down the road to our mailbox. Then Lance and I helped Sebastian climb up in the car and off they went--who knew doing the right thing could feel so incredibly horrible!!

8 comments:
So sorry to hear you are losing a member of your family. I don't have any pets but I hear it is really hard to lose them once they are such a part of your life. Good luck getting through this.
Wow. What a bummer to read that in the middle of the work day.
I enjoyed the years he lived in Mapleton. Sebastian and Oscar the cat got along better than you would expect. They spent many cold nights together in the garage.
Sebastian used to explore the undeveloped parts of Mapleton along the canal road with me. We would walk out and swim back. He was a really good swimmer. I must have thrown the tennis ball to him a thousand times.
He had a good life. He outlived Oscar by 19 months. And you gave him a nice last meal. Thanks for taking care of him for so long.
Okay, now I'm crying!! I loved Sebastian and still have a framed picture of him in our bedroom. What a sweetheart he was. He was so gentle and good natured. I used to love sitting with him on the grass and just petting him. I'm sure he will be missed dearly around your house. I'm sure it was the best thing for him. It's better he doesn't have to hurt anymore.
-Lindsay
PS-What a sweet last meal and final walk down the street.
I'm so sorry Kim. You know I lost Jordie just in March and I know how you feel. It feels, at first, like the pain and sorrow will never leave, but I have to let you know that it does get better. Now, almost 3 months later, I still cry, but the good memories are outweighing the bad and I am happy he is not suffering anymore.
My thoughts are with you and the family. Sweet Sebastian and Jordie can frolick in the pain free summer fields of heaven together!!
Love and Hugs-
Tara :)
We all loved Sebastian so much. Even the neighbors. He kept me walking in the evenings. I remember the first time he saw a cow and was so shaken up. Soon he was chasing them. He was one of a kind.
Being a Jones, it was a very typical last meal, hamburger and brownies.
We all feel a great sense of loss knowing he is gone, but I'm sure it was worse on your part having to be the ones to make the decision.
I'm so sorry about your poochie!! Miss you guys! We really need to plan a trip to see you! I just showed Benny the video of Scott riding his bike and he said, "I remember him! He's my friend that talks inside his head and talks to Jesus." I don't remember telling him the Jesus part, he must just assume that.
Sarah,
I think Benny is right on, please hug that sweet boy of yours for me! We miss you guys too.
Sebastian, or "Sea-bass", as I called him, had an incredible nose. I would throw the ball in the bushes where he could never see it, and it would take him a while but he could eventually find it. Old age is a bummer.
I hope someone will walk me down the walk for my last hamburger and brownie. It's not too far away.
Post a Comment